Posts tagged ‘cupcakes’

March 18, 2010

Cupcake Box Part 3

I’ve got a bit further with this box this week. Last night I made a new batch of paper clay and it was the best, least lumpy batch I’ve made! Unfortunately I’d run out of premixed filler so I used powered, make-it-yourself filler and whilst it made a good clay, it also set in the airtight tub overnight! Lesson learnt; if I’m going to use this again, I’ll have to use it all in one go!

This is the cupcake so far (excuse the fish in the background!)

I’m quite pleased with how it has turned out so far though I’ll probably ruin it when it comes to painting as that’s the part I’m not too good at!

As I have agility training tonight I’ll have to leave it until tomorrow…

Advertisements
March 15, 2010

A bit more Mache and a Weasel!

I’ve managed to do a little more work on the cupcake box and a project that I’ve dipped in and out of for a few weeks tonight. I found a bowl which fits inside the cake case (it’s a bit tight so I used the inside of the bowl to shrink the finished item a bit so it should fit!) and after lubricating the mould I coated the inside of it with the paper pulp (the recipe I use is courtesy of www.ultimatepapermache.com and it is so simple!). I am going to leave it to dry for a couple of days before I take it out of the mould – I learnt this lesson the hard way! Normally I would put it in the oven at a very low temperature but the mould is plastic and I don’t want to risk it! This is the pulp in the mould:

The other project I’ve been playing with is a weasel. Not the cutest subject but I like them! I made the armature a couple of months ago and then got sidetracked as I tend to do so I’ve only just picked it up again. I’ve covered the main body, the head and the face and this is how it looks so far (still wet):

It will shrink when it’s dry, but not too much with luck! I will have to go over it again with another layer of pulp to fill in any imperfections as well as finishing the body but that will have to wait until later in the week as I unfortunately have to work ūüė¶

Until then…

March 12, 2010

Paper Mache Cup Cake box (still!)

Never listen to your husband (at least when it comes to paper mache)! That’s what I have learnt today as the ring that he suggested that was supposed to make the top of the cake fit snugly in the case was far too flimsy. I did try to wrap it with some newspaper strips but it collapsed even more. Hey, I know when to give up… I have reverted to my original plan of creating a ridge for the top to sit on, like this:

Now to wait for it to dry…

March 10, 2010

Cupcake box part two.

Right, well, this is the jelly mould I have used as a “cake case”:

It was quite easy to use as a mould, however I did learn that cooking oil doesn’t work as well as vaseline for lubricant! Oh well, I’ll know better next time…

This is the result; something that looks surprisingly like a cake case!

I was going to just sit the “cake”¬† inside the case, but it would have been a bit gappy around the edges so my husband suggested¬†that I try making a small ring inside the same mould so it would sit inside better.¬† This proved somewhat tricky to remove from the mould resulting in a few breaks. I’ll fix this when I add the cake part which should¬†make it more stable!

This is as far as I have got with this, what with working full-time and training the dogs but hopefully I’ll get a bit further over the weekend, I’ll keep you posted!

Jo

March 8, 2010

Cupcake boxes.

That’s cupcake shaped boxes, not boxes to put cakes in! A while ago I picked up an old jelly mould in a charity shop and I was originally¬†intending to use it to make fluted bowls but when it is upside down it looks too much like a giant cake case to be used as anything else! Hence the cupcake boxes. The top of the cake will lift off with a cherry as a handle. I’ll put some pictures up soon, even if it turns out disastrous!